Race starts and finishes at the Knox County Melton Hill Park. Take Pellissippi Pkwy to Hardin Valley Rd. Go west on Hardin Valley for 2 miles to Steele Rd. Turn right onto Steele Rd. for 0.8 miles to Sam Lee Rd. Turn Left onto Sam Lee Rd for 3 miles into the Melton Hill Park Park at the Knoxville Radio Control Club Lot (gravel off to right) (adjacent to beautiful Melton Hill Lake.)
NEW THIS YEAR 1. - THE BEST TIMED INDIVIDUAL MALE AND FEMALE RUNNER WILL BE AWARDED A GO-PRO HERO3 WHITE EDITION CAMERA.
2.THERE WILL BE AN ONSITE KIOSK FOR YOU TO CHECK YOUR TIME.
This course will be CHALLENGING. Would you expect anything less from Marines? It consists roughly of 3 miles of off-road running, which entails some obstacles, hills, and of course, mud pits. We recommend that you wear old clothing and shoes as well as long pants. This off road 5K adventure takes you across scenic trails and fields, obstacles, and ends with a splash through refreshing water and a mud pit. It is open to individuals and teams. Be prepared for some real clean fun! Melton Hill Lake and local Fire Dept is available for those who will need cleansed afterwards...
2014 RACE REMINDERS
We reviewed the comments from last year’s runners and have made some changes to address some of the problems, including the parking problems and the congestion at some of the obstacles. The following reminders are provided for this year’s Marine Mud Run:
1. We’ll be using a disposable chip embedded in each runner’s bib, including all team runners, so no need to tie anything to your shoelaces or to turn the chips in at the end of the race. Each chip is assigned to the slot you register for so we cannot refund, change or transfer.
2. We’re separating the individual runners from the team runners – the first wave of individual runners will start at 8:00 am, Teams start at 11:30AM
3. Since each runner’s start time and finishing time will be recorded by means of the disposable chip, we will have staggered starting times – when you register, you’ll be asked to register for one of the following start times:
a. Individual Runners – Start times at 8:00am (INDIVIDUAL COMPETITIVE RUNNERS SHOULD REGISTER FOR THE FIRST WAVE), then at 8:30am, 9:00am, 9:30 and 10:00AM. Each starting time group will contain no more than 300 runners – if you try to register in one time slot but it is filled, you will be required to select a wave time that has available slots. it will roll you over to the next available starting time slot. If you arrive for your registered start time a little late, will be starting runners from that group for 10 minutes after their requested wave start time. at 10 or 15 second intervals. You should arrive at the park one hour before your registered starting time.
b. Team Runners – Start times at 11:30 AM (TEAM COMPETITIVE RUNNERS SHOULD REGISTER FOR THE FIRST TEAM WAVE) then at 12:00 PM, 12:30, 1:00PM. Each starting time group will contain no more than 300 runners – if you try to register in one time slot but it is filled, you will be required to select a wave time that has available slots. If you arrive for your registered start time a little late, we will be starting runners from that group for 10 minutes after their requested wave start time. We will be starting individual teams from that group at 10 or 15 second intervals. You should arrive at the park one hour before your registered starting time. To ensure that you work as a team to complete the race, the team’s score will be recorded as the time of the 4th finisher on the team. Teams have a minimum of 4 members and a maximum of 10. If you are the team leader and register a team before all the members of your team have registered, that is OK, however if your team does not have 4 registered members by August 30, the team members will be assigned to an available individual wave of our choice. You will be notified of the wave you were assigned to. There will be no refunds of unfilled teams.
4. Race participants may pick up their race packets prior to the race at Fitness Solutions (8909 Town and Country Circle) on 10-12 September between 11:00 AM and 6:30 PM. Race packets may be picked up on race day at the registration table (located at the participant parking lot at Melton Hill Park) beginning at 6:00AM. The race packet will contain your runner’s bib with its embedded chip so if you pick up the packet early, you will NOT need to go to the registration table on race day – you can go from the parking area straight to the starting line. The Team Captain or designee will pick up the entire teams bibs and shirts.
5. TO REGISTER AS A TEAM, HAVE EACH TEAM MEMBER COMPLETE THE INDIVIDUAL APPLICATION.
There will be NO Awards Ceremony. Results will be posted on our website (www.KnoxMud.org) within 24 hours of the race and if you are one of the top three runners in each category, you will be able to pick up your prizes at Fitness Solutions from Monday, 15 September, to Saturday, 20 September, during their normal business hours . A listing of the prizes for each winning runner/team in each category will be available at the race site.
Individual Award Classifications
Awards will be given to the top Three Overall, female and male. Overall winners are not eligible for age-group awards (three deep).
Age Group Award Classifications
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place Male and Female in each of the following age groups: 8-11 12-15 16-20 20-24 25-29 30-34 35-39 40-44 45-49 50-54 55-59 60 & over
Team Award Classifications
There will be Team awards in five categories: MALE ONLY, FEMALE ONLY, COED, JROTC and ROTC. Teams will consist of at least 4 members. Because Marines never leave their buddies behind all team members must cross the finish line together. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards to the winners of each team.
Only Registered Runners for the 5K will receive a T-shirt to wear with pride, proving they completed our challenge. Extra shirts can be ordered online EXCEPT LATE COMERS..
Kids Mud Run
The Kid’s Mud Run (a short run through the several obstacles and a large MUD pit) will take place at 11:00am. This is for children under age 8 who are not eligible to run the regular Mud Run. Online registration only. Kid’s only receive a dog tag ID and chain. A t-shirt can be ordered online with the registration NO REGISTRATIONS CAN BE ACCEPTED RACE DA
Scenes from the Marine Mud Run
MORE VIDEOS ON YOU TUBE - SEARCH “KNOXVILLE MUD RUN”
CHECK the FACEBOOK PAGE AND YOU TUBE FOR RUNNER VIDEOS